Monday, March 28, 2011

Changed Eating Habits

I used to wake up, go to the fridge, take a couple of eggs, some cheese, and ham and make an omlette. I never really thought much about it. If there was only one egg left, I might choose a different breakfast, since the wife might need it for making lunch. If I felt a bit peckish during the day, I would cut a hunk of bread and slap some butter on it for a snack.

Now, I open the fridge, and I hesitate. Is it OK to use the eggs? We only have 10 left..... The cheese bag is half full.... If I use a whole slice of the ham, what will we have for meat for lunch? Hmm.... the ketchup bottle is half full, what happens when it runs out? Can I use one of the potatoes for making miso soup? Or should I save it for making curry at lunch.....

I know most of you saw the video I made about the week after the quake, with the empty supermarket shelves. It changed me. Now the supermarkets are about 90% back to normal around here. But it still haunts me. It only took 4 days without trucks coming in to empty ALL the supermarkets in our area.... four days...

How much food do you keep on hand? What if the trucks stopped coming to your supermarkets tomorrow? How many days would it take to empty your markets...

(buy an emergency crank powered flashlight and radio)

No comments:

Post a Comment